Of course, nothing can really prepare a government or it's people for "attack of the killer virus"so looking back on all our swine flu hysteria, are we really capable of calmly and rationally fighting something like that? The answer is overwhelmingly no.
Here's what would happen in Birmingham, Alabama if a flu like virus started killing people in the thousands on a daily basis:
1. The City Council will downplay it as much as possible (duh...).
2. The mayor will tell everyone to remain calm and to distract us, will present his plans to lure a pro basketball team to the city. He'll finish with his grand plans to make Birmingham host the 2020 Summer Olympics.
3. Seeing how inadequate city leaders handle the situation the governor will step in and declare marshall law.
4. In the mean time, the news media will have increased the hysteria level to where citizens have declared total anarchy and it's all for one. Gun lovers everywhere will rejoice and thank god for the 2nd amendment.
5. Seeing how inadequate the state government handles the situation the federal government will step in and send in the marines.
6. By this time the situation will have gotten completely out of hands and the rest of the country has disintegrated. To contain the virus, the federal government will nuke the city.
7. Game over.
Tune in to watch "Survivors" on the BBC America channel Saturday nights 9 EST/8 CST.